If you are suffering from dry eyes, you already know how painful the condition can be. What you might not know is what is causing the problem. Check to see if any of these conditions apply to you:
- Frequent outdoor work: Exposure to high amounts of wind can strip eyes of their natural moisture.
- Recent eye surgery: Surgeries such as LASIK tend to leave patients with dry eye as their eyes will often slow down tear production as the eye heals. In other cases, antibiotic eye drops prescribed to promote healing and prevent infection can dry out eyes.
- Screen time: Staring at a television or computer screen for hours a day can cause the eye to become stationary and the body to blink less. This can cause the eye to not replenish the moisture that it needs to stay healthy.
- Seasonal allergies: Dry eye is a common allergy symptom. Unfortunately, it's also a common side effect of some types of allergy medication. Often, adjusting your medication can prevent dry eye.
- Blocked tear ducts: Talk to our eye doctor about the possibility of a blocked tear duct. This is surprisingly common after several different types of eye procedures, and the solution is often a quick in-office procedure to remove the blockage.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Optometrist in Inland Empire, CA
If you live in the Beaumont, Calimesa, San Jacinto, and Redlands area and you are dealing with the symptoms of dry eye, make an appointment at Focus Vision Optometry today. Call us at (888) 505-4555.